Ras-el-Hanout is a traditional spice mix from North Africa. We use it for our Moroccan tagine, Moorish roasted cauliflower, and special festive Bastilla.
If you're interested in Moroccan cookery, please do join one of our courses!
Ras-el-Hanout Spice Blend
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into several pieces
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fenugreek
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 10g dried rose petals
- Place all the ingredients in a dry frying pan and place over gentle heat.
- Cook until the seeds begin to pop in the pan. Toss as they start to pop and cook for a couple more minutes, taking care not to let them burn. Remove from pan and grind the mixture in a coffee grinder, mini food processor or pestle and mortar while still warm.
- Store in an airtight container. The spice mix will keep for about three months but is better used quickly.
- Use the spices for soups, tagines, adding to roasted nuts or seasoning roasted vegetables.