Spanish chickpeas and spinach flavoured with saffron - a simple and quick to make dish which can be served as a Tapas style dish or as part of a larger meal.
Garbanzos con Espinacas
Chickpeas with spinach and saffron
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten-free
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 250g spinach leaves, washed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 large tomato, chopped small
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp smoked or plain paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Place the wet spinach in a large pan with a lid on a medium heat, and allow to just wilt, making sure the leaves are still bright green and not overcooked. Drain immediately in a colander, and refresh under cold water to halt the cooking.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and soften the onion for 10 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- While the onion is cooking, place the garlic with the saffron threads and a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar, and crush to a paste.
- When the onion is just beginning to colour golden, add the garlic saffron paste, and cook gently for a minute or two further.
- Add the chickpeas, chopped tomato and ½ tsp of paprika and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring to coat the chickpeas in the spices.
- Taste and season with a little more salt, pepper, and paprika if necessary, then stir in the wilted spinach.
- Serve drizzled with more olive oil and sprinkled with paprika.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.