Very colourful roasted root salad with a tangy pomegranate
dressing and decorated with pink pomegranate pearls.
Warm Winter Salad
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into large bite, sized
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks, smaller than the squash
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into same size as carrots
- 1/2 whole garlic bulb, the cloves peeled and left whole
- 6 shallots, peeled and sliced in halves
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- baby spinach leaves
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas6.
To make the dressing:
- Cut the pomegranate in half and over a bowl ease out the pink seeds, discarding the white pithy bits, which are bitter.
- Mix the pomegranate seeds and juice with the olive oil, pomegranate syrup and balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
To make the salad:
- Combine the squash mix in a large roasting dish with the olive oil
and roast in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes,
turning gently once or twice, until the squash is just soft.
- Place the beetroot in another roasting dish and stir in the olive
oil. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Wash the baby spinach leaves.
- To serve, pile the baby spinach leaves onto a serving dish or individual
plates, top with the roasted vegetables, and drizzle over the
- You will need 2 roasting dishes. You need to roast the beetroot separately from the squash as otherwise it will colour the squash pink, unless you are not fussed...or think pink salads are fun!
- Pomegranate syrup or molasses is made from concentrated
juice and is sweet and fruity with a sour undertone. Available from
Lebanese or middle-eastern stores.