This recipe comes from Padmaja Kochera, finalist in our Meat Free Monday competition. If you've never cooked Indian food at home before, this could be a great place to start. Paddy says: "Indian Food that's yet to be discovered in UK. This simple and yet so tasty upma is served as a wholesome meal back in Southern Part of India. The recipe is so simple and so easy to follow."
- Vermicilli - 200gms (lightly roasted to a golden brown colors on very low heat in a tbsp of sunflower oil)
- Sunflower oil - 2 tbsp (1 for roasted vermicilli) (1 for frying)
- Green Chillies - 2
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/3 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Red Onion - 1 diced
- Fresh Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs (optional)
- Mint Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves - small bunch
- Salt to taste
- Take a frying pan and add 1 tbsp of sunflower oil, add mustard seeds, cumin and let them splutter.
- Add Curry leaves, Onions and Green Chillies and fry till the onions are translucent.
- Now add water and salt and let it boil. Then add vermicilli, mint leaves and coriander leaves and cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the vermicilli is cooked, take the lid off, mix well and serve hot with any Indian Pickle.