Categories

Cookery Courses

View our range of short and long Bath-based vegetarian and vegan cookery courses running throughout the year.

View cookery courses

Gift Vouchers

Buy gift vouchers for our vegetarian and vegan cooking courses in our online shop.

Buy a gift voucher today

Twitter

Vegan Orange and Almond Cake

This is our vegan and gluten free version of the popular Spanish 'Tarta de Almendras y Naranja'  It's very moist with a citrus flavour and can either be served as cake or as dessert with vegan ice cream or yoghurt.

Vegan Orange and Almond Cake

Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free

Makes: 1 x 20cm cake

Ingredients:

1 orange

1 stick cinnamon

2 star anise

4 cloves

150g soya yoghurt

250g caster sugar

50g fine cornmeal (or gluten free flour)

2 tsps gluten free baking powder

200g ground almonds

Icing sugar to dust

Toasted flaked almonds and orange slices to serve

Method:

1. Line a  8"/20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
  2. Place the unpeeled orange in a saucepan and just cover with water.
  3. Add the cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
  4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, checking the water doesn't dry out and adding more water if necessary.
  5. Leave the orange to cool then cut it in half. Remove any pips and then puree the entire unpeeled orange in a food processor.
  6. In a large bowl beat the soya yoghurt and sugar until creamy and thick, then fold in the cornmeal or flour, baking powder, ground almonds and orange puree.
  7. Pour into a lined 8"/20cm cake tin and bake at 180◦c for about 20 minutes.
  8. Then turn the oven down to 170/160c and cook for a further 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the cake. If the cake looks like it is darkening too much cover it loosely in foil.
  9. Serve with a dust of icing sugar, a sprinkling of toasted flaked almond and orange slices.

Orange and Almond Cake 2

Comments

Karishma on 21st Dec 2015 said:

Hi Rachel,
The recipe looks amazing and I’m going to definitely try it out. Is there anything I could substitute the soya yoghurt with? Maybe more orange puree or egg replacement made from chia seeds? Could you please let me know. Thanks

Monica at Demuths on 29th Dec 2015 said:

I suggest adding either 3 tablespoons of flax seed or chia seed batter instead of the soya yoghurt. You don’t want to increase the orange puree as it will make the cake too bitter, so make up the liquid with a nut milk.

Let me know how you get on!

Rosa M Bloomberg on 12th Jan 2016 said:

Would it be possible to replace the sugar with rice syrup or maple syrup or will this make the mix too wet?

Monica at Demuths on 18th Jan 2016 said:

Rachel says she’d have to test the recipe with maple syrup to be sure - so we’ll try to get back to you soon. Or let us know if you experiment first! Thanks, Rosa.

Farzeen Jehan on 1st Mar 2016 said:

I’ve made this cake several times. It’s easy, and really yummy.

Natalie on 16th Sep 2016 said:

Hi Rachel,

Is it possible to use coconut flour instead of cornmeal?

Chris at Demuths on 16th Sep 2016 said:

Hi Natalie,we find that coconut flour is very absorbent and expands so will change the nature of this cake, you could use wheat flour, rice flour or increase the ground almonds.I hope that’s useful!

Natalie on 16th Sep 2016 said:

Thank you, yes your response is very helpful.

Anne on 3rd Oct 2016 said:

Hi Demuths. Could you tell me what size cake tin please? I am assuming 8” but just thought I’d check. Thanks

Chris at Demuths on 3rd Oct 2016 said:

Hi Anne - yes, an 8”/20cm cake tin is exactly what you need! I’ll amend the recipe, thanks so much for pointing that out!

Anne on 3rd Oct 2016 said:

Thanks Chris! I am making this tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Chris at Demuths on 4th Oct 2016 said:

Excellent! I look forward to hearing all about it!

Anne on 6th Oct 2016 said:

Made this on Tuesday and it tasted delish but it wasn’t quite cooked even though the toothpick was clean. Would definitely make it again - just bake for longer. Would be tempted to use this recipe make smaller/individual cakes as well.

Chris Zak on 27th Jun 2017 said:

I was looking for a vegan almond lemon poppy seed cake and came across your recipe, and added poppy seeds, very easy and delicious, could it be done with lemon?

Monica at Demuths on 29th Jun 2017 said:

Hi Chris. You could certainly use lemon here - and perhaps skip the spices for a more traditional lemon and poppy side vibe? Would that work? Let us know how you get on!

Michelle C on 5th Jul 2017 said:

Could I substitute the caster sugar with xylitol?

Monica at Demuths on 6th Jul 2017 said:

Hi Michelle. I have not tried this, though xylitol does allegedly mimic the taste of sugar so you could try it in a 1:1 ratio. Here’s some more info on using xylitol in baking that you may find useful: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/sugar-free-baking

Michelle C on 6th Jul 2017 said:

Thank you Monica!

Queen Solomou on 20th Sep 2017 said:

This recipe is reminiscent of the traditional Greek Cypriot almond cookie given to people when they leave a Greek wedding. I haven’t had them for over 30 years because the recipe calls for egg white. Do you think this recipe would work well with aquafaba?veganising this recipe?

Lyndsay Walker on 2nd Oct 2017 said:

I made this at the weekend, and it was extremely easy and turned out brilliantly.  Two questions:

Is there any reason why one couldn’t boil and puree the orange a day or more in advance and either chill or freeze it until needed?

Could the cake be made with other fruit, such as cooked and pureed rhubarb, or perhaps pureed strawberries?

Jill Cannon Jones on 3rd Dec 2017 said:

I made this recently and it was delicious.  I need to make a dessert for a family party and I would love to take this but I need to make it two days in advance.  Does it keep well?  Any tips?