This is our vegan and gluten free version of the popular Spanish 'Tarta de Almendras y Naranja' It's very moist with a citrus flavour and can either be served as cake or as dessert with vegan ice cream or yoghurt.
Vegan Orange and Almond Cake
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
Makes: 1 x 20cm cake
1 stick cinnamon
2 star anise
150g soya yoghurt
250g caster sugar
50g fine cornmeal (or gluten free flour)
2 tsps gluten free baking powder
200g ground almonds
Icing sugar to dust
Toasted flaked almonds and orange slices to serve
- Line a 8"/20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Place the unpeeled orange in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Add the cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, checking the water doesn't dry out and adding more water if necessary.
- Leave the orange to cool then cut it in half. Remove any pips and then puree the entire unpeeled orange in a food processor.
- In a large bowl beat the soya yoghurt and sugar until creamy and thick, then fold in the cornmeal or flour, baking powder, ground almonds and orange puree.
- Pour into a lined 8"/20cm cake tin and bake at 180◦c for about 20 minutes.
- Then turn the oven down to 170/160c and cook for a further 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the cake. If the cake looks like it is darkening too much cover it loosely in foil.
- Serve with a dust of icing sugar, a sprinkling of toasted flaked almond and orange slices.