Helen made these remarkable wreaths on our recent vegan
Christmas Cookery class. The sweet enriched dough is rolled with marzipan, pistachios and sour cherries. We think this might be the most impressive festive bake we've made all year. Enjoy!
Vegan Marzipan Christmas Wreaths
Dietary: vegan | Makes 12 wreaths
- 500g unbleached white bread flour
- 1 level tbsp dried active yeast
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml warm water
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- (1 tbsp ground cinnamon)
- 300g marzipan
- 100g ground almond
- 100g chopped pistachios
- 100g sour cherries
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp orange blossom water or cointreau
To make ½ plain & ½ with cinnamon dough.)
- In a measuring jug combine the warm water, yeast and sugar, mix well and leave in a warm place for about 10 minutes for the yeast to start to bubble. In a large bowl make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the yeasty mixture and oil.
- Using one finger stir in the liquid until the dough is coming together, divide the dough into 2 and add the cinnamon to one of the doughs. Then use both hands and start to knead each dough separately.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured flat surface and knead, using your fingers to stretch the dough up and then gently fold back, it will be sticky to begin with so don’t be tempted to add too much flour, use a bread plastic scraper if the dough sticks to the work surface or rub olive oil on your hands and the work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, usually about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Divide each dough into 2, and roll then out so you have 4 rectangles – 2 of each colour.
- Make the rectangles of dough 30 cm along the length, 24 cm up the side.
- Spread the marzipan filling all over the cinnamon piece, then place the plain dough on top. Press down gently.
- Slice along the length into 6 strips. Twist each strip up, then join the ends together by folding the ends around each other.
- Repeat with the other two halves of dough. Place all twelve wreaths on a lightly floured metal tray and leave to prove until almost doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Brush with almond milk, sprinkle over a little caster sugar and a few flaked almondsBake at 180C fan for 12-15 mins until golden.