Tofu and tempeh don't have much flavour, so a good marinade makes all the difference in enjoying these healthy vegan foods. This is our favourite basic recipe for making a great marinade. It's the same one we use for Black Sesame Tofu, and we also have handy guides to cooking with tofu and tempeh if you need more inspiration.
Tofu and Tempeh Marinade
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free Option
- 100ml apple juice
- 4 tbsps shoyu or tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- thumb size piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- Start with shoyu / soy sauce. It makes the best base for a marinade.
- Add ginger juice.
- Add 2 cloves of sliced garlic, 1 chopped chilli and for sweetness about 100ml of apple juice.
- Marinate tofu or tempeh for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- For a wheat-free marinade, use tamari.
- The easiest way to collect ginger juice is to wash a thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger and grate it. Take the grated pulp and squeeze out the juice into a bowl - you will be amazed how much juice comes out! You can discard the de-juiced pulp.
- Make sure the tofu is covered with the marinade; otherwise you get a mottled effect.
- To speed up the absorption of the marinade, heat it up first before pouring over the tofu.