Tempeh Goreng is the most popular Javanese fried snack, always served with Sambal Kecap and a handful of aromatic herbs.
Tempeh Goreng (Indonesian Fried Tempeh Chips) with Sambal Kecap
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 150g tempeh
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Aromatic herbs: sprigs of fresh mint, watercress and basil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 tsp kecap manis or brown sugar
- 1 tsp hot chilli sauce
- Slice the tempeh into slim 2.5cm long fingers and put into a bowl.
- Make up the marinade and pour over the tempeh. Marinate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that the tempeh is evenly covered.
- The tempeh should absorb most of the marinade. Drain off any remaining marinade, pat the tempeh dry with kitchen paper.
- Deep-fry in sunflower oil until golden and crisp.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve at once with Sambal Kecap and a handful of aromatic herbs.
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Mix all the ingredients together.