Tart aux Citron
Makes 1 large tart, serves 12
- 1 quantity Pate Sucree
- 4 lemons
- 9 eggs
- 375g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- egg wash made up of
1 egg yolk and ½ tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Wash and grate the lemons, collect all the zest.
- Squeeze the lemons and collect all the juice.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk them with the sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream lightly for 10 seconds in a bowl to slightly thicken.
- Stir the lemon juice and zest into the egg mixture, whisk well then whisk in the cream and place in the fridge.
- Line a 22cm diameter, 3.5cm deep, loose based flan tin.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to 4 mm thickness and roll the pastry up on to your rolling pin and carefully lay it over the flan dish.
- Press the pastry snugly into the flan case and trim any surplus from around the edges, then pinch the edges to make a little frill pattern.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Line with greaseproof paper, making sure that the pastry edges are well covered and fill with dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are set.
- Remove the paper and beans, and brush the pastry with the egg wash, return to the oven for 5 minutes until the pastry is pale golden in colour.
- Lower the oven to 150C
- Pour the mixture into the base of the tart case.
- Bake for 1 ¼ hours.
- Leave to cool for 4 hours before serving.
- Serve at room temperature.