Strawberry and Mint Rosewater Granita
- 200g caster sugar
- 600 ml water
- 3 tbsp rosewater
- bunch of fresh mint
- Heat the caster sugar and water, simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is syrupy, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the mint and rosewater.
- Infuse for an hour at least, longer is better. Then strain the mint off.
- First hull the strawberries then put them in a colander and rinse them briefly with cold water.
- Drain well and dry them on kitchen paper before transferring them to a food processor or liquidiser (we use our Froothie Optimum 9200 Power Blender).
- Blend them to a smooth purée, then stop the motor, add the syrup and blend again.
- Pour everything into a fine nylon sieve set over a bowl.
- Rub the purée through the sieve, then pour it into the polythene freezer box, cover with a lid and put into the freezer for 2 hours.
- By that time the mixture should have started to freeze around the sides and base of the container, so take a large fork and mix the frozen mixture into the unfrozen, then re-cover and return it to the freezer for another hour.
- After that repeat with another vigorous mixing with a fork, cover again and re-freeze for a further hour.
- t this stage the mixture should be a completely frozen snow of ice crystals, and is ready to serve.
- It can remain at this servable stage in the freezer for a further 3-4 hours, but after that the ice will become too solid and it will need putting in the main body of the fridge for 30-40 minutes or until it is soft enough to break up with a fork again.