Vegetarian ceviche has become a mainstay on our South American courses and Vegetarian Diploma courses, and this Spring edition is no exception. Our spring asparagus ceviche is a quick-to-make raw Spring salad with a zesty lemon and tarragon ceviche dressing. This recipe was featured in the May 2016 issue of Vegetarian Living Magazine.
Spring Asparagus Ceviche
Serves: 4 starter size or as side salads
Prep time: 20 minutes
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 80g mange tout or sugar snap peas, sliced
- 100g broad beans (podded weight)
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 8 large asparagus spears, peeled into long slices
- 3 small young carrots, peeled into long slices
- ¼ fennel, peeled into long slices
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3/4 tsp fine lemon zest
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely sliced tarragon leaves plus a few whole leaves to decorate
- Prepare the salad vegetables. Double pod the broad beans. Trim the asparagus and carrots and peel down the length into strips. Peel the fennel into thin slices. Place the peeled vegetables into a bowl of ice cold water to crisp and curl. Slice the radishes and mange tout.
- To make the dressing, mix together the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and salt and add in the chopped tarragon and lemon zest.
- Drain the sliced vegetables and place them all together in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix to coat them.
- Arrange the vegetables on the plates or onto one large sharing plate. Garnish with tarragon leaves.
- Serve straight away.
Colourful spring photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.