One of our most popular salads at Demuths, simply made with roasted caramelized squash, topped with toasted seeds and fried haloumi. It’s always missed when we take it off the menu.
Smoky Squash and Haloumi Salad
Dietary: Gluten Free, Vegan Option
Roasted Squash Mix
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 3cm cubes
- 150g carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 40g each pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds
- a splash of tamari
- 250g haloumi, sliced and dry-fried until golden
- mixed salad leaves
- alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tbsps pumpkin seed oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp apple juice concentrate
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas7.
- Combine the squash mix in a large roasting dish with the olive oil and roast in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes, turning gently once or twice, until the squash is just soft.
- Mix the seeds up and place them on a baking tray. Toast the seeds in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as they burn very easily.
- Add a splash of tamari and stir.
- Return to the oven for a couple of minutes.
- To dry-fry the haloumi, place the haloumi in a frying pan with no oil and gently fry on both sides until golden. You will find that the haloumi oozes whey first, which cooks off and then the haloumi browns quickly.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Line a salad bowl with mixed salad leaves of your choice. Add the warm squash mix. Drizzle on the dressing.
- Top with fried haloumi slices. Sprinkle with the toasted seeds and finish with alfalfa sprouts.
- For a vegan salad substitute the haloumi with smoked tofu, sliced and fried in a little olive oil.
- If you don’t have pumpkin seed oil substitute your favourite nut oil or use extra virgin olive oil.