We're just back from our French Cookery Holiday in Southern France and were so inspired by its bounty of beautiful vegetables, amongst them: tomatoes, peppers, aubergine and courgettes. With them we made a huge ratatouille, a dish that takes a little time to make but is so worth it and the leftovers are even better the next day. This is best made with flavoursome ripe tomatoes; otherwise, use a can of Italian tomatoes.
Serves: 4 | Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 large aubergine, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium courgettes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 x (400g) tin Italian tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- a handful of basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas6.
- Roast the aubergine and red pepper in the pre-heated oven with 3 tbsps of olive oil for 30 minutes. Stir a couple of times to stop the vegetables sticking.
- Gently fry the onion until soft in the remainder of the oil in a large saucepan until soft. Then add the roasted peppers, aubergines and courgettes and quickly stir-fry.
- Next add the tomatoes, half the basil, sugar and season with salt and pepper, stir once really well, then simmer very gently, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Serve either warm or cold with the rest of the basil scattered over