A simple curry to make when culinary pumpkins start to arrive in the autumn.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tbsps sunflower oil
- 750g pumpkin, peeled, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- thumb sized piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp all spice
- pinch of salt
- 350ml coconut cream
- 100ml water
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 orange
- 200g green beans, topped and tailed
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 1/8ths
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the sunflower oil until softened.
- Add the pumpkin, ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Then add the turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, allspice and a pinch of salt.
- Follow with the coconut cream, water, lime and orange juice.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add the green beans and the tomatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste and add the coriander.
- Serve the curry with rice if you like.
All Spice/ Pimento are the dried green unripe berry of the pimento tree which grows in the Caribbean. It has a flavour similar to nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves combined.