- 28cm x 2 rolled out puff pastry circles
- egg wash
- 2-3 pears, peeled & sliced
- icing sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place one of the circles of puff on the tray, with the other one cut out a circle from the middle leaving a 3cms border.
- Egg wash around the edge of the first circle and place the circle with the hole in on top.
- Brush with egg wash and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
- Mix together the almond paste and spread over the cooked puff centre, top with pear slices, sprinkle with icing sugar and put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes until the pears are golden.
For the vegan version we made the almond paste without the egg and added more orange juice and used brick pastry instead of butter puff.