These perfumed meringues are simple to make but look so lovely with seasonal fruit and festive garnish.
Orange Flower Meringues with Blackberries and Pistachios
Dietary: Gluten Free
Makes: 16 meringues
- 3 egg whites
- 160g caster sugar
- 1-2 tsp orange flower water
- 250g plain labna or thick yoghurt
- 1 vanilla pod
- Honey and orange flower water to sweeten
- 350g fresh blackberries
- A handful of roasted pistachios, crushed to decorate
- Rose petals
- Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat the oven to 120C/gas mark 1.
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gradually add the caster sugar and drops of orange flower water, whisking between each addition.
- Divide the mixture between the baking sheets spooning them into egg shapes with two tablespoons. Sprinkle a few crushed pistachios on top of each one.
- Place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and cook for 40-60 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool in the oven if you want the meringue crisp and dried out, or take out of the oven to cool if you want a soft centre.
- Carefully slice along the middle of the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into a bowl.
- Add the labna or yoghurt and sweeten with honey and orange flower water to taste.
- Serve the meringues with a spoonful of labna, fresh blackberries and a sprinkle of crushed roasted pistachios and rose petals.
- You can vary the fruit, raspberries work well and try rose water instead of orange blossom for a subtly different flavour.
- Try different nuts. I like raspberries and roasted hazelnuts.