I have used my favourite squash for this simple Vietnamese style coconut curry. Onion squash has a bright orange colour and with turmeric colouring the coconut milk makes for a stunning looking dish. It's also very quick and easy to make. I suggest serving this dish with jasmine fragrant rice.
Onion Squash and Coconut Curry
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 8 cardamom pods, bruised
- small piece cinnamon bark
- 400ml coconut milk
- 150ml water
- 375g squash, cut into cubes
- 125g courgette, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- handful fresh chopped coriander
- salt and black pepper
- Make the garlic paste in a pestle and mortar or whiz in a mini processor until well combined.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the onion and stir-fry until golden then add the garlic paste and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the turmeric, bruised cardamom pods and cinnamon and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and water, stir well and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the courgette and simmer until tender.
- Add the lemon juice, fresh coriander and taste for seasoning.
- Serve with fragrant jasmine rice.