We are in France this week for our
Flavours of the Mediterranean Cooking Holiday at Chateau Ventenac in the Languedoc region of Southern France. It's our seventh year at Ventenac, and one of the highlights of our trips has always been a visit to the Narbonne vegetable market. We divide into groups and everyone chooses the best and freshest vegetables to make into new dishes. This was a great simple salad with lots of crunch.
Narbonne Market Salad
- 4 heads of chicory-2 red, 2 white
- 1 oak leaf lettuce
- 1 bunch of radish with fresh leaves
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 30g pine nuts
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat a frying pan and dry fry the pine nuts until they are golden-they burn easily so transfer to a bowl as soon as they are golden to stop them cooking.
- Slice the radishes in half, save half of the radish leaves to add to the salad.
- Break the chicory into separate leaves and roughly chop the oak leaf lettuce.
- Arrange the lettuce and radish leaves on a large serving plate and arrange the chicory on top in a flower shape. Top with the radishes and orange segments and sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts.
- Whisk the dressing together and drizzle the salad dressing over the salad or serve it on the side in a jug.