- 2 dried Pasilla chillies 10g
- 2 dried Ancho chillies 25g
- 2 dried Mulato chilli 10g
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400mls water, enough to cover the chillies
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tsps cinnamon
- ½ tsp clove powder
- Brown sugar to taste
- 40g dark plain chocolate, broken
- salt to taste
- De-stalk and de-seed the chillies and roughly chop.
- Put the chillies in a saucepan with the tinned tomatoes, water, onion and garlic and simmer for 30minutes until the chillies are soft.
- Leave to cool and then blend the chilli mix until smooth.
- Dry fry the coriander seeds & sesame seeds till fragrant, let them cool and then grind.
- Return the blended chilli mix to the saucepan with the coriander mix, cinnamon, clove powder, a tablespoon of brown sugar and chocolate. Gently heat, stirring all the time until the chocolate has melted. The consistency should be that of double cream.
- Season to taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Serve warm or cold.
Tips: It’s worth making a large quantity as it freezes very well.