Miso Ramen Soup with Shitake and Seaweed
- 1.5litres water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, cut in halves
- 2 celery stalks, cut in halves
- 1 leek
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 30g dried shitake mushrooms
- 30g piece of kelp
- Soak the kelp and shitake mushrooms overnight.
- In a large saucepan put in all the ingredients, including the skins on the vegetables, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are cooked and the stock has reduced by a quarter, which takes about 1 hour.
- Strain the stock, keeping the liquid and discarding the vegetables.
- 2 tbsps Arame Seaweed
- 100g soba ramen noodles
- 750ml stock
- 4 tbsps shoyu
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 100g endame beans
- 150g pak choi
- 100g shitake mushrooms
- 100g tofu cubes
- 2 tbsps miso
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Soak the seaweed in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Boil the soba ramen noodles in plenty of water for 4 minutes, drain and divide between 4 bowls.
- Bring the stock to the boil and add the seaweed plus the soaking water and the shoyu, ginger juice, rice vinegar and endame beans, pak choi, shitake mushrooms and tofu cubes and simmer gently for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the miso and sliced spring onions.
- Pour the miso soup over the ramen noodles and eat at once.