Mole is a traditional Mexican sauce that comes in many varieties. Our recipe is based on mole poblano, which is subtly flavoured with dark chocolate. Try it with some of our Mexican recipes such as tamales! We also regularly offer Mexican classes, including workshops and our annual Dia di los Muertos with Jo.
Mexican Mole Sauce
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 20g Ginger
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Cloves
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 50g Montezuma (or other dark) chocolate
- 125g Water
- Put the cayenne, cloves, cinnamon, coriander and cumin into the spice blender and blend until very fine.
- Finely dice the onion and fry gently in a little vegetable oil. When very soft puree the ginger and add to the pan.
- Cook for two minutes and then add the spice mix and thyme.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes and then add the water and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir to melt and then season.
- Sieve before cooling.
Recipe from Demuths Restaurant by Richard Buckley