Masala is essential in many Indian dishes, including our popular
Tarka Dal. Give this recipe a try, and if you're interested in learning more about Indian cuisine and spices, our experts are always ready to help!
Masala Spice Mix
Northern Indian Curry powder
- 2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp kalongi/nigela
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- pinch of salt
- Dry fry the whole spices, until fragrant, cool and grind. Add the ground spices and mix in.
- This will store in airtight container for a month, or you can make a paste.
- To make a paste mix the spice blend with a little vinegar and water until it resembles a paste. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the paste. Gently stir fry for about 5 minutes until the paste start to make a bubbling noise.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool. The oil should rise to the surface.
- Store in sterilized jars. The layer of oil on top adds to the storing process. Keep in the fridge.