Baby Artichokes are immature artichokes and are very tender. Violet artichokes are purple in colour.
Marinated Baby Artichokes
- 12 baby artichokes
- 125mls dry white wine
- 125ml olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- bouquet garni
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
For this dish you will need artichokes that fit easily into the palm of your hand.
- With a sharp knife cut the top 1/3 of the leaves so that the artichoke has a flat top. Then pull about 1/3 of the leaves off. You can tell when to stop because the cut edge will change from green to yellow.
- Pare the stalk down and then slice the artichoke in half length ways.
- Scoop out the immature choke with a teaspoon and put the artichokes straight into acidulated water. Otherwise they will turn black.
- Place the artichokes in a saucepan with the wine, olive oil, lemon juice, and bouquet garni.
- Top up with water so that the artichokes are just covered. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently with a lid on for 15 minutes, until the artichokes are tender, which will depend on size.
- Leave the artichokes to cool in the bouillon.
- Take the artichokes out of the bouillon, eat them just like they are with hollandaise sauce, toss them in an the vinaigrette or place under a grill to brown them slightly.