Tempeh is marvellous on the BBQ and our chipotle-spiked marinade makes for super tasty protein-packed tempeh tacos. Our marinade has a distinct Mexican influence, flavoured with lime and chipotle, plus maple syrup (tempeh works particularly well with sweet and sour flavours). We recommend serving with corn tortillas (make your own corn tortillas if you're feeling ambitious - we used blue corn masa in ours as shown in the photo above), frijoles negros refritos (refried black beans), and guacamole or sliced avocado.
Make ahead tip: The uncooked tempeh can be kept in its marinade for up to 3 days in the fridge. The flavour improves the longer the tempeh is marinated, so it's a good idea to prepare a day in advance if you have time.
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten free option
1. Cut the tempeh into 8 slices.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients with 2 tablespoons of the water in a shallow dish and taste, adjusting the balance of sweet, spicy, citrusy, piquant and salty, adding more of any of the seasonings as necessary, and a little more water if it is too concentrated.
3. Place the tempeh slices into the marinade and turn to coat well in the mixture.
4. Chill in the fridge until needed, turning the slices occasionally to evenly marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
5. When you are ready to cook the tempeh, take the tempeh out of the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper, brush with sunflower or rapeseed oil and place on the barbecue. Cook until browned and crispy on both sides.
6. Alternatively fry the tempeh slices in a little oil in a frying pan. Remove onto a plate lined with kitchen towel.
Check out our collection of vegetarian Mexican recipes for more inspiration.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.