This week is National Vegetarian Week (20-26 May) and to celebrate we held a Meat Free Monday competition to find the best idea for a meatless meal that would appeal to vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. The entries are in and this week we're announcing the five finalists and blogging their recipes throughout the week (in no particular order). We’ll announce the grand prize winner of a full day’s course at the cookery school and dinner for two at Demuths at VegFest Bristol on 26 May 2013!
This recipe for Thai Style Spicy Coconut Noodle comes from Ken Ashley. Another apt use for tofu that doesn't require any fancy preparation. The use of lemongrass, galangal, curry leaves and curry powder make this an exceptionally fragrant dish! It reminds us of our laksa lemak (shown on the right).
Thai Style Spicy Coconut Noodle
1. Place lemon grass, shallots, galangal, chilli, and garlic in a grinder or a food processor and grind to a paste.
2. Heat sunflower oil in a pan. Fry the lemon grass paste till lightly brown. Add in curry leaves and curry powder and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add in bean sprouts and bamboo shoots. Stir in the coconut milk and then the noodles. Cover and leave to simmer gently for 1 minute.
4. Add in tofu cubes, lemon juice and soy sauce. Heat through. Season to taste.
5. Serve hot. Garnish with mint and coriander leaves