Buckwheat noodles with steamed purple carrot and sweet potato with a sesame dressing and sesame crusted tofu topped with nori seaweed, arame, pickled pink ginger and pea shoots.
Japanese Noodle Bowl
Serves: 2 | Dietary: Vegan
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 160g buckwheat noodles
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Boil the noodles in plenty of salted water until just tender, for about 4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse briefly with cold water.
- Run a drop of sesame oil over them to stop them sticking.
- 1 purple carrot (100g)
- 1 small purple sweet potato (100g)
- Peel and slice the vegetables into 1 ½ cm thick rings. Steam lightly for 5 minutes until tender.
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp untoasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown or red miso
- 1 tsp shoyu
- 1 tsp mirin
- 2 tbsp water
- Mix all the ingredients together.
Sesame crusted Tofu
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sea vegetable flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp wasabi powder
- 100ml sunflower oil
- Cut the tofu into slices.
- Mix the tofu crust ingredients together and spread out on a plate.
- Dip the tofu slices into the tofu crust mix and press so that it is evenly coated.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a deep-sided frying pan. Shallow fry the tofu for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp and the sesame seeds are golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- 10 pieces of pink pickled ginger
- ½ sheet of nori cut with scissors into little triangles
- 1 tbsp arame, soaked in cold water for 15 minutes, then drained
- a few pea shoots
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.