It's a great time of year for fresh vegetables, especially tomatoes, peppers and cucumber which are bountiful right now. We like to put them to use in a traditional Greek salad. It's such a simple recipe but the combination of ingredients - including feta, black olives, oregano, red wine vinegar and good olive oil of course - is surely a case of the sum being more than the parts.
Traditional Greek Salad
Serves 4-6 | Dietary: Gluten Free, Vegan Option
- 1 block of Feta Cheese (preferably barrel aged), cut into big cubes
- A selection of the best quality ripe tomatoes you can find (try to use a nice mixture of vine, cherry and beef tomatoes - the quantity is up to your tastes!)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- Red onion-sliced very thinly
- Good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil (preferably Greek)
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of chopped mint
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- A handful of pitted Kalamata olives
- Chop the tomatoes into different sized slices, wedges, halves or chunks.
- Peel and slice the cucumber and thinly slice the green peppers.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except the mint and feta, adding oil, vinegar and herbs to taste.
- Stir all of the ingredients around and leave the flavours to infuse for about half and hour.
- To serve sprinkle the salad with fresh mint and place the feta cubes on top.