It might be the start of April today but it feels more like October. The chilly weather has us craving something warm and comforting, so here's our recipe for Greek Country Beans. You could serve it as a bean salad, but given the weather, we reckon now's the time to enjoy these beans piping hot with some good crusty bread.
Greek Country Beans
Serves: 4 | Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1x 400g tin butter beans
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 100ml passata
- 1 tsp sugar
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 sage leaves
- handful of fresh flat parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add the celery, carrots and garlic and stir-fry for a minute or two.
- Add the passata, sugar, stock, sage leaves and half the parsley and oregano. Bring to the boil and simmer gently covered for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the butter beans and add to the vegetables and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, add more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Stir in the rest of the parsley and oregano, leaving a little parsley for garnish.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or chill and serve as a bean salad.