It’s the season for the lovely waxy Jersey Royals. I like to eat them simply, boiled with griddled asparagus and homemade mayo or in punchy salad with fennel, radish and watercress to contrast with their sweet flavour.
Fennel, New Potato, Radish and Watercress Salad
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 250g new potatoes-washed
- ½ small head of fennel
- 6 radish
- 1 small bunch/ 100g watercress
- juice of half a lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar (or similar tasty vinegar such as raspberry)
- handful of fresh mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the new potatoes in a pan of cold water with some of the mint leaves. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Drain, remove the mint and cool under cold water until the potatoes are cool enough to handle and then slice.
- Mix together the sherry vinegar, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Using a peeler shave the fennel into thin slices, or slice finely with a knife. Toss the fennel in the dressing straight away so that it doesn’t discolour. Add the rest of the mint, chopped. Finely slice the radish and toss together with the potatoes, watercress and fennel.
- It is best made with Jersey Royals when they are in season.
- This salad can be served warm or cold.
- To make this into a quick evening meal you can add some pan fried haloumi cheese or feta and some toasted nuts.