Helen Lawrence, one of our star tutors, always creative in the kitchen, came up with these double chocolate cupcakes yesterday. Studded with raspberries and topped with an almond-based crumble topping, these cupcakes are a must for any chocolate-lover!
Double Chocolate Cupcakes with a Crumble Topping
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- 50g cocoa
- 175g soft butter (use spreadable butter and sunflower oil blend from yeo valley)
- 3 large eggs
- 165g golden caster
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 60g white chocolate flakes/chips
- plus 15g extra for sprinkling on top
- 20g Butter
- 50g Flour
- 20g Flaked almonds
- 15g golden caster
- 20g dark muscavado sugar
- 125g raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 5.
- Line two 12-hole Muffin tins with cupcake paper cases.
- Make the crumble topping. Rub the butter into the flour to make breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the almonds and sugars.
- Pour the boiling water over the cocoa and mix to a paste with a spoon until smooth.
- Add the butter straight away so it melts slightly in the heat of the mixture.
- Use a stick blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the sugar, blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs and blend until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and flour and blend until smooth – don’t over blend, stop as soon as the flour is mixed in.
- Stir in the 60g of white chocolate flakes.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases by placing about 2 tbsps of the cake mixture into each cupcake holder (about ½ full – no more).
- Top with a good pinch of crumble mixture, a couple of raspberries and an extra sprinkling of white chocolate flakes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until set and springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.