This is lovely Autumn treat. Use damsons or Blaisdon plums to make a large tart or smaller individual tarts.
Damson Frangipane Tart
- 250g plain white flour
- 100g butter, diced
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 250g fresh damsons, de-stoned
- 50g Demerara sugar
- 50ml water
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- flaked almonds to sprinkle on top
- 10 damsons, halved for the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/Gas3.
- In a large bowl rub the butter into the flour, icing sugar and salt until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg, and pour over the pastry. Rub the egg in evenly with your fingertips until it is sticky and coming together. Tip the mixture onto a work surface. Work the pastry 2 or 3 times with the palm of your hand until it is very smooth. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Grease a 30cm loose-bottomed flan dish and roll out the pastry to fill the dish. Prick the pastry all over the base with a fork. Line the pastry case with silver foil or baking parchment, fill with dried beans and bake ‘blind’ in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. Lift out the lining and beans then put the pastry case back in the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until the base is cooked.
- Cook the 250g of damsons until they are soft, and reach the consistency of a thick chunky compote. The mixture needs to be on the tart side to contrast with the sweet almond topping.
- To make the filling, cream the butter & the sugar to a creamy white consistency. Add the ground almonds, vanilla & the eggs & beat to a smooth paste, use a whisk or a food processor.
- Spread the damson compote over the base of the pastry case. Spoon the almond topping over & smooth with a palette knife. Top with the damson halves and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200C/Gas6 until pale golden & puffy.
- Serve with cream or a thick Greek-style yoghurt.
- If you can’t find damsons use any purple or yellow plums.
- You can also use apple, pear, cherry, apricot, peach or blackcurrants.