This recipe for Crispy Sesame Tofu is a mainstay of many of our courses. It's a delicious and versatile way to prepare tofu that can perk up all kinds of grains and vegetables. We like to serve it with quinoa or noodles and stir-fried vegetables. When the season is right, it's especially amazing with purple sprouting broccoli. We most recently made this dish on a vegan class and it went down a storm. Keep an eye on our course calendar for future class dates!
Crispy Sesame Tofu
Serves: 4 | Dietary: Vegan
- 100ml apple juice
- 4 tbsps shoyu
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- thumb size piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 50g cornflour
- 3 tbsps black sesame seeds
- 3 tbsps white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- sunflower oil for shallow frying
- Slice the tofu horizontally, then cut diagonally into 8 triangles. Place the tofu in a shallow dish.
- Mix together the marinade and pour over the tofu. Leave the tofu to marinade for at least an hour, turn the tofu half way through so that it marinated evenly.
- Mix together the tofu crust ingredients. Take the tofu pieces one at a time and dip into the mix so that the crust sticks to all sides. Shallow fry the tofu, until crisp. Set aside.
- Strain the marinade and keep as a dipping sauce.
Photos by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.