A favourite recipe from our recent 20 Minute Supper class last week. This easy dish can be served as a salad, an accompaniment to rice, or stirred through pasta.
It's a good idea to cook extra lentils and then freeze them when cooled. They will freeze well in a freezer bag and can then be added straight into soups, stews or even pasta for a convenient way to add more lentils to your diet.
Char-grilled Courgette and Puy Lentil Salad
- 100g puy lentils
- ½ onion
- 340ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 courgettes, green or yellow, sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- Place the puy lentils in a pan with the bay leaf, half an onion and water and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary. When cooked drain the water, remove the bay and onion. While the lentils are warm mix the dressing through them.
- Rub a little oil, salt and pepper onto the courgettes.
- Heat a char-grill pan and cook the courgettes until tender and with black lines across.
- Top the lentils with the courgettes.