Pancake Day is just around the corner! And so we ask: flat or fluffy? If you prefer a crepe, these are for you! Buckwheat flour imparts a slightly nutty taste and photogenic speckled look. And the yeast and baking powder give them a light texture we love. Experiment with using soughdough starter instead of yeast for a different depth of flavour. And enjoy!
If you're a fan of fluffy panckes, we also have a vegan Canadian Pancake recipe. Lovely with organic syrup and seasonal fresh fruit. And for more vegan inspiration, check out our huge range of vegan cookery courses.
Vegan Buckwheat Crepes
- 200ml soya milk, warm
- 5g dried instant yeast
- 10g sugar
- 100g plain white flour
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sunflower oil for cooking
- To make the batter, mix the yeast, sugar and soya milk together. Leave to sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve.
- Mix in the flours, salt and baking powder and whisk well for a minute until smooth. Leave to sit for 30 minutes until the batter is bubbly.
- Heat a thick-bottomed frying pan until it is evenly hot. Brush lightly with oil and remove the excess with a piece of kitchen roll.
- Spread a ladle full of batter out over the pan in a thin layer.
- Wait for a minute for the mix to set and colour up underneath
- Turn each pancake over once when golden on the underside and colour the other side.
- Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up.