Eat for a late breakfast, or excellent with morning coffee. Best warm straight from the oven, with the chocolate melting and the blackberries offering hot flavour bursts.
Blackberry, Dark Chocolate and Apple Muffins
- 300g plain white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 100ml milk
- 100ml plain yoghurt
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g blackberries
- 1 eating apple, peeled and grated
- 100g dark chocolate, crumbled
You will need a muffin tin and large paper muffin cases.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the milk and yoghurt and beat in the butter with the vanilla essence.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour.
- Fold in the blackberries, grated apple and chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into large muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- The muffins are ready when they are golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- When you buy vanilla extract, make sure it is ‘extract’ or ‘essence’ and not vanilla ‘flavouring’. Real vanilla is expensive and artificial flavouring is cheap. Vanilla flavouring has a horrible artificial taste and will ruin the muffins!
- Other delicious choices for muffins: Blueberry and Dark Chocolate; Apricot and White Chocolate
Raspberries; Dark Chocolate
Banana and Milk Chocolate.
- For quantity aim for 250g in total of fruit.