Cauliflower is plentiful now, so we made this recipe for our Riverford Veg Box cookery evening. Everyone loved it! Creamy tahini makes a super dressing for cauliflower in this traditional Middle-Eastern mezze dish.
Arabian Cauliflower with Tahini
- 2 small heads of cauliflower, broken into florets or sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with a pinch of salt
- 150ml light tahini
- 1 tsp ground roasted cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few tbsps of water, as needed
- 4 tbsps toasted flaked almonds
- 1 pomegranate, seeds
- sprinkling of chopped parsley and coriander
- Cook the cauliflower by steaming until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the garlic with the tahini, cumin, cayenne and lemon juice.
- At this point the mixture is a dense thick paste. Add a little water, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the mixture is creamy, then drizzle over the cauliflower.
- To serve, garnish with the pomegranate seeds, toasted almonds and chopped parsley and coriander.
- For a different flavour and texture you can try roasting the cauliflower with a drizzle of oil for 20 minutes in a hot oven instead of steaming.
- Try adding flavours onto the cauliflower such as sumac, thyme, sesame seeds.