Strawberry Tarts with Vegan Crème Pâtissière
The recipe here uses delicious summer strawberries but vary the fruit according to the season - you could use blueberries, blackberries, figs or rhubarb. You can also adapt the flavour of the Crème Pâtissière - why not try adding saffron, cinnamon or a few drops of rose water?
This recipe makes 4x 6cm individual tartlets.
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- 150g plain flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 40g icing sugar or sugar alternative
- Pinch of salt
- 80g vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Weigh the flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the margarine and vanilla.
- Use your fingers to quickly rub the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and rub it in to create slightly sticky breadcrumb bobbles.
- Turn the dough out onto the table and bring it together with the heal of your hand.
- Then form into a ball with your hands.Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest the dough before using.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest the dough before using.
- 60g Doves gram flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 500ml almond milk
- 100g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- A little lemon zest, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg or cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Place the sieved gram flour and corn flour in a small saucepan and slowly whisk in the almond milk, making sure it is all combined and there are no lumps. Sit for 20 minutes allow the gram flour to soak.
- Whisk in the sugar, salt, lemon zest, nutmeg, cardamom and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Cook the mixture over a medium heat, simmering while whisking or stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Once thick simmer and whisk for a few more minutes to cook out the flours.
- Pass the mixture through a double meshed sieve to remove any lumps into a bowl.
- You can pour the mixture directly into a pre-cooked tart case or store in the refrigerator for several hours to cool completely.
And to make the tarts
- 1x quantity sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 x quantity Crème Pâtissière
- 250g fresh strawberries
- 50ml agave syrup, bring to the boil to thicken, then cool
- Roll out and line the tartlet tins with the chilled pastry.
- Trim off the excess to neaten the edges, then place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up again.
- Line each tartlet case with parchment then fill with baking beans. Place all the tartlets onto a tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and baking beans, then bake for a further 4-6 minutes till golden brown and completely cooked. Ensure the pastry is completely cooked and biscuit coloured and the base is not raw.
- Allow to cool in the tins.
- Once the pastry tarts are cool, you can fill with piped Crème Patisserie and top with fresh berries, glaze with a little thickened agave syrup.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.