Autumn Fritters with Beetroot Slaw and Pear and Apple Chutney
In this recipe we’ve made the most of the autumn harvest, using apple and pears in all three elements this fruity dish. The chutney is super-quick to make and is designed to eat fresh rather than store away.
Dietary: Vegan | Serves 4
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- ½ small celeriac
- 1 large dessert apple
- 1 large pear
- 125g dried breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 100ml soya milk
- 1 tsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 50g plain flour
- Olive oil for baking
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180CFAN.
- Peel the half of celeriac and cut it in half. Slice each piece into 1cm slices. Plunge the celeriac into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes to soften them slightly, run under cold water to cool the celeriac down and drain well.
- Slice the apple and pear into 4 x 1cm thick slices (depending on the size of the fruit).
- Make the breadcrumbs and mix with the rosemary, thyme, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Mix the mustard into the soya milk to thicken it slightly.
- Dip each piece of celeriac, apple and pear into the flour, then into the soya milk, then the breadcrumbs. Spread out the coated pieces onto an oiled baking tray and drizzle olive oil lightly over the top and bake for 30 minutes, 15 minutes on each side until both sides are golden and crispy.
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten free | Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 small red beetroot
- ¼ small celeriac
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds (lightly crushed)
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- Peel the beetroot and celeriac.
- Grate the beetroot and celeriac and the apple and pear using the large holed side of a grater.
- Mix in the lime juice, salt, caraway seeds and black pepper in and massage the vegetables, scrunching with your hands until the vegetables have softened and released some juices.
- Stir in the chopped mint.
Pear and Apple Chutney
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten free | Serves: 4
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 star anise
- 5 cloves
- ¼ tsp black onion seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 10 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 5 tbsp cider vinegar
- 250g pear, peeled and diced
- 250g cooking apple, peeled and diced
- In a medium saucepan, fry the onion in sunflower oil with a pinch of salt until golden brown.
- Add the star anise, cloves, black onion seeds and mustard seeds and fry for a few minutes then add the ground black pepper and ground cinnamon, stir for a minute.
- Add the lemon juice, soft light brown sugar and cider vinegar and stir in.
- Add the diced pear and apple.
- Simmer gently with a lid on, for 20 minutes until thickened and the fruit is soft.
- Leave to cool and keep in the fridge as this is a quick chutney to eat straight away.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.