This Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake was very popular at Demuths restaurant and through popular demand stayed on the menu for over 20 years! If you want to perfect your vegan baking, join one of our vegan cooking courses. There are even courses just for vegan desserts!
You can serve this recipe iced as a cake or warm as a pudding with hot chocolate sauce and vegan ice cream.
Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 300gms self raising flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 50gms cocoa
- 250gms caster sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 9 tbsp sunflower oil
- 175ml orange juice
- 175ml water
- 250gms icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 50gms vegan sunflower margarine
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas5/375F.
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the caster sugar, vanilla essence, sunflower oil, orange juice and water.
- Whisk to a batter like consistency. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer when inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Sift the icing sugar and the cocoa into a bowl.
- Melt the margarine with the boiling water.
- Add the margarine mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- The sauce will harden as it cools.
- As a sauce, serve hot.
- As an icing, spread the warm topping over the cake and leave to harden.