These tasty sweetcorn fitters often make an appearance on our Mexican courses. They are particularly delicious served as a snack or appetizer with guacamole and fresh salsa.
- 75g plain flour
- 60g fine cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of chilli powder
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 250mls milk (approx)
- 125g frozen or fresh corn
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- small handful coriander, chopped
- sunflower oil for frying
- Sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder, chilli, paprika and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the egg and milk until you have a batter about the consistency of double cream.
- Fold in the frozen or fresh sweetcorn, chopped spring onion, olive oil and a handful of chopped coriander and don’t mix too much.
- Heat a heavy bottomed frying pan with a little sunflower oil. Drop a spoonful of the fritter mix into the pan (either bite sized or jumbo!) and fry until golden, flip over and cook the other side.
- Serve as an accompaniment to a chilli or as a starter or snack with a tomato salsa, minty yoghurt dip, or guacamole and sour cream.
- Can be reheated in the oven when needed.
Tips: If using fresh sweetcorn cobs, peel off the outer sheaf and pull away the hairy strands. Then with a small sharp knife carefully slice off the kernels.