Rhubarb Orange and Almond Cake
Dietary: Vegan, Wheat Free Option
Serves: 20cm cake
- 1 large orange
- 9 tbsps soya yoghurt
- 250g caster sugar
- 55g plain flour/gluten free flour
- 50g cornmeal
- 1 tbsps baking powder
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 300g roasted rhubarb
For the Rhubarb:
- Set the oven for 150C.
- Cut the rhubarb into 4cm lengths.
- Scatter the rhubarb in a single layer on a baking tray and sprinkle over sugar.
- Slow roast for approximately 30 minutes until just tender.
For the cake:
- Put the orange in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, checking the water doesn’t dry out and adding more if necessary.
- Leave the orange to cool then cut it in half, remove any pips and puree in a food processor.
- In a large bowl beat the soya yoghurt and sugar until creamy and thick, then fold in the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, ground almonds, ginger and orange puree.
- Gently fold in the roasted rhubarb.
- Pour into a lined cake tin and bake at 180C for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 170/160C and cook for a further 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the cake.
- If the cake looks like it is darkening too much cover it loosely in foil.