These festive bites were truly a highlight of our Vegan Christmas Cookery course 2014. Fun to make and even more enjoyable to eat!
- 1 block of puff pastry
- 1 recipe of red pesto
- 1⁄2 small leek, sliced and steamed until tender, then chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 50ml white wine
- 125g spinach
- salt and pepper
- Fry the leek until soft in the olive oil along with the thyme, add the wine and cook until the mixture is dry.
- Wilt the spinach and squeeze the excess liquid out, then finely chop.
- Mix the spinach in with the chopped leek mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To make the Palmiers:
- Roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle, to 3mm thickness.
- Spread the pesto over one half of the pastry and the leek and spinach mixture over the other half.
- Roll up the pastry from each side until the rolls meet in the middle.
- Cut the roll up into thin slices using fishing wire as a tool.
- Flatten each disc slightly onto baking parchment.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200C/Gas6 until golden.