We had our New Year Reboot Detox class on Tuesday night, led by Monica Shaw of Smarter Fitter who showed how to make a range of healthy smoothies, salads and soups (you can read her recap here).
Monica is a big fan of garnish and so while she was busy pureeing Vegan Cream of Cauliflower Soup, I showed everyone how to make kale chips, which work as well as a soup garnish as they do for everyday snacking. We couldn't get enough, and ate almost half of the "crisps" on their own before the soup was ready!
Here's the recipe for the kale chips. The trick is to make sure every bit of hard stem is removed from the kale before roasting.
Curly Kale & Cavolo Nero Chips
- A large handful of kale
- A large handful of cavolo nero
- A little olive oil
- A little Malden sea salt
- Take the hard stems out of the kale and cavolo nero and tear the greens into pieces. Wash and dry them really well.
- Put them into a big bowl and rub them with olive oil, so that all the leaves are thinly coated. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Lay the greens out onto a baking tray so that the leaves don’t touch.
- Heat the oven to 130C and roast the chips for approx 15 minutes, regularly
- opening the oven to let out the steam, and turn them over so that they crisp
- evenly. Take out when crisp and still green.
- Eat hot as crisps or use as a topping for soup.