Five Spice Crispy Tofu
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 block of plain tofu
- 60ml shoyu (good quality soy sauce)
- a thumb of ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- apple juice to cover
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder (shop bought or homemade)
- 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds (regular or black or a mix)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Slice the tofu into thick chunks and place in the marinade for at least an hour but up to 3 days. It will taste stronger over time.
- Remove the tofu from its marinade, drain on kitchen paper and gently squeeze.
- Mix together the corn flour, sesame and spices and press the tofu in the spice mix.
- Heat approximately 50ml vegetable or sunflower oil in the wok and heat until hot-test by dropping in a small piece of tofu or bread. It is hot enough when the tofu floats to the top straight away and becomes crispy and golden.
- Fry the tofu in 2 batches until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining tofu.