We serve this on our South American course and everyone loves this rich gluten-free chocolate torte spiced with cinnamon, cloves and allspice, served with chilli mangoes and a good spoonful of crème fraiche.
Dark Chocolate Torte
Dietary: Gluten Free
- 275g 70% Dark Chocolate, broken up
- 4 large Eggs
- 230g Caster Sugar
- 170g unsalted Butter, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground allspice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Line a 20cm cake tin, and if it has a removable bottom then wrap the outside in tin foil in such a way that water cannot enter.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs at full speed with 1/3 of the sugar until the volume triples and they have turned white.
- In a saucepan gently heat the remaining 2/3 of the sugar with 110g of water until it has fully dissolved. In another bowl pour the hot sugar syrup over the chocolate and butter and stir to melt (the mixture should be smooth and glossy).
- Slowly add the chocolate mix to the eggs and mix until just combined
- Pour into cake tin and place in a bain marie (you can also use a roasting dish). Fill with boiling water to below the cake tin’s rim (the water allows it to cook like a mousse, giving that luscious creamy texture). Bake in the middle of the oven, for 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool completely before turning out.
- Serve cold with chilli mangoes and crème fraiche.