We love these nutty chocolate brownies - they are so versatile. You could try adding raspberries or blueberries or add whole nuts to the uncooked brownie mix such as toasted hazelnuts or macadamia nuts. They are delicious served warm with vegan ice cream!
Chocolate and Hazelnut Brownies
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 150g dark chocolate
- 50g margarine
- 50g coconut oil
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 9 tbsp water
- 100g soft dates (or soaked to soften)
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g plain gluten free flour blend
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 195C/175Fan/Gas5.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake or brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and margarine and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl above a pan filled one third full of simmering water.
- Heat the chia seeds in the water and bring to a gentle simmer for a few minutes, leave to thicken and cool down.
- Blend the dates with the sugar until smooth, then stir into the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the chia seed mixture and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the flour and ground hazelnuts and mix thoroughly to ensure no lumps of flour are visible.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the brownies are set on the sides, cracking slightly but still soft to the touch in the middle.
- Leave to cool, then chill in the fridge before cutting into squares.
- To serve, drizzle with melted dark chocolate, a dusting of cocoa powder and maybe even some caramel hazelnuts.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.