Easy to make and great as an accompaniment for Xmas dinner and can be made in advance. I like to cook red cabbage in the oven, but you can cook it on top on a low heat with regular stirring.
Braised Red Cabbage
Dietary: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 1 small red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 100ml red wine
- 50g brown sugar (you may need a little more)
- 4 bay leaves
- A small cinnamon stick
- 1 start anise
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 150c/gas mark 2.
- Cut a small square of muslin (or a clean piece of cotton) or you can buy special muslin bags.
- Put the spices into the muslin and tie together with string.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish, cover with foil and place in the oven and cook for approx. 2 ½ hours-stirring often. Taste several times during cooking and adjust the seasoning, sugar and vinegar to taste.
Delicious food photography by Rob Wicks of Eat Pictures.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram where we are chatting about all things foodie and, if you like this post, please share it!
To keep up to date with events and goings on at the cookery school sign up for our newsletter.