Vegan Orange and Almond Cake
Dietary: Vegan, Wheat Free
Makes: One cake
- 1 Orange
- 150g soya yoghurt
- 250g caster sugar
- 50g fine cornmeal (or gluten free flour)
- 2 tsps gluten free baking powder
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
- Icing sugar to dust
- Toasted flaked almonds and orange slices to serve
- Put the unpeeled orange in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Add the cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, checking the water doesn't dry out and adding more if necessary.
- Leave the orange to cool then cut it in half. Remove any pips and then puree the entire unpeeled orange in a food processor.
- In a large bowl beat the soya yoghurt and sugar until creamy and thick, then fold in the cornmeal or flour, baking powder, ground almonds and orange puree.
- Pour into a lined 8"/20cm cake tin and bake at 180◦c for about 20 minutes.
- Then turn the oven down to 170/160c and cook for a further 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the cake.
- If the cake looks like it is darkening too much cover it loosely in foil.
- Serve with a dust of icing sugar, a sprinkling of toasted flaked almond and orange slices.