Fresh Indian chutneys are easy to make. For a sweet and sour variety, try this tamarind chutney made with tamarind pulp, cooked dates, ginger and cayenne.
- 180g pitted dates, chopped
large thumb size
- piece of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 180g block tamarind
- 3/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/2 tsps garam masala
- pinch of salt
- Place the dates and ginger in a bowl and cover with 200ml of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes.
- Place the tamarind in a bowl and just cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Strain the soaked tamarind through a fine sieve and liquidise with the date mixture to a sauce, along with the cayenne and garam marsala.
- Add more water until you have a thick sauce consistency.
- Check the seasoning and serve.