Today's Meat Free Monday recipe brings more of our favourite autumn produce, including beetroot, squash and the exciting addition of pomegranate. Pomegranates are at their best now and look beautiful and festive as edible table decorations.
Puy Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot and Squash
Dietary: Vegan, Wheat Free
- 1 medium sized squash, washed and cut into 2cm thick sized slices
- 4 small beetroot-peeled and cut into small wedges
- 6 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, left whole
- Thyme or rosemary
- Olive oil
- 250g puy lentils
- water or vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Pomegranate
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas6.
- You will need 2 roasting dishes. You need to roast the beetroot separately from the squash as otherwise it will colour the squash pink, unless you're not fussed.
- Combine the squash mix in a large roasting dish with the olive oil and roast in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes, turning gently once or twice, until the squash is just soft.
- Toss the beetroot wedges, shallots and garlic in a little olive oil and add the thyme or rosemary. Roast in a hot oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring often, until the beetroot is soft - be careful so it doesn’t burn.
- Cook the lentils in vegetable stock with the onion and bay leaf until the lentils are tender.
- Drain the lentils; discard the onion and the bay leaf.
- While the lentils are still warm add the beetroot, stir in the dressing and top with the roasted squash. Serve with salad leaves, rocket, watercress and top with pomegranate seeds.
Back to blog
- When you break open a pomegranate, catch all the juice in a bowl and add to your dressing. Discard the white pith as it’s bitter.